Thursday, July 23, 2009

Question for Black Women - Hair turns red with perm?

I'm African American and I've been coloring/perming my own hair for over seven years now. About a month ago I colored my hair Black using Feria.(sp). (first time using this brand) Two weeks after that my gf permed my hair with Dr. Miracle's and she noticed it started turning a redish brown so we quickly washed it out. Well earlier this week I decided to perm it (after two weeks from Dr. Miracle) and I noticed that my hair started to turn the same reddish brown. I just ignored it and continued the process. When I washed out the perm a patch in the front had turned a reddish brown color. My natural hair color is dirty reddish brown. Could my hair just be turning back to it's natural color or is something else happening? I've dyed my hair black many times. Could it be just the brand I'm using?



Question for Black Women - Hair turns red with perm?

It's possible that the relaxer is stripping the color from your hair. If that's the case, the kind of relaxer that you might be using could be too strong. With that being said, you should never relax your hair 2 weeks after you color it. Ideally you should wait 6 weeks after any kind of chemical treatment before you relax or color your hair. Not only that, but it sounds like you are relaxing your hair too often too soon. Typically speaking you should get relaxers once every 6 weeks. My suggestion to you is give your hair some rest. Don't relax or color it for six weeks and try not to use a lot of heat on it either. Also do a deep conditioner at least twice during that six week period. I also have a question for you. Since you are relaxing and coloring your hair yourself are you getting your ends clipped so that it doesn't break off. If not I would suggest that you go to a salon and have someone wash your hair and clip your ends every 6 to 8 weeks. Also maybe you should try going to a professional and have them do at least one of those chemical treatments to your hair. Hope everything works out for you!



Question for Black Women - Hair turns red with perm?

I've been using the Feria brand for at least 7years and I've never noticed any weird discolorations with mine. Feria is actually the brand that I swear by b/c it leaves my hair feeling very conditioned and shiny for weeks after. Plus the color is nice.



Maybe your hair is changing color b/c of the difference in brands from coloring to perming. You are going from Feria (by Loreal) to Dr. Miracle.



I personally think it could be the mixing of brands causing the discoloration. But to be 100% sure you get good hair color and texture out of this you should see a professional colorist. I know they're expensive, but it might be worth it this time around.



Good luck girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment