Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Box braids/ extensions/ hair loss. hELP!?

Hi. I am a 17 year old African American female and 5 days ago I got box braids for the first time. I am currently transitioning from relaxed hair to natural hair and I figured this would make it an easier process. Well, I am already experiencing hair loss around the edges and the braids are very tight. I do not want to take them out because I paid $185 to have it done, but at the same time, I do not want my hair to come out. Is there a way I can keep the braids and stop the breakage before it gets worse or should I just take tem out?



Also, my natural hair is past my shoulders, so it took a bulk of weave to get this style, which also causes even more pulling and stress for my scalp.



Box braids/ extensions/ hair loss. hELP!?

I'm going to guess that avoiding permanent hair loss will be worth a lot more than $185 to you in the long run. It is a lot of money but just imagine the people who are willing to pay thousands to get hair replacement surgery. You do not want to have permanent damage to your scalp! If your hair is coming out at the root and/or you have little white bumps forming, take the braids out and try to get a full or partial refund from the salon.



One thing you can try is to take a towel and soak it in water that is as hot as you can stand. Wring it out well and wrap it around your head. Leave it there until it cools. This may help loosen the braids.



You could also take out just the braids around the edges and have a friend help you put them back in more loosely. Check out www.BraidsByBreslin.com and www.KhamitKinks.com for a series of braiding videos. You can do it yourself less expensively and with better care given to your scalp.



If your hair is past your shoulders, you could also have it braided or two strand twisted and set on rollers without extensions.



Hope this helps, Kaya



http://www.naturallyyoumagazine.com



Box braids/ extensions/ hair loss. hELP!?

ooh girl i know how u feel...i have micros and you know micros pull your edges and stuff but just get some Organics Hair Care products like the Carrot Oil and Hair Mayonnaise and rub it around your edges and on the braids every day more than once a day if you want and it will help your hair keep its strength and help it grow in the braids...and it works really good...you can get it from any beauty supply store...and plus i know what you mean about how much you paid for them and dont want to take them out



Box braids/ extensions/ hair loss. hELP!?

i can relate because I was in a similar situation....although i have not experienced breakage around the eges and i am going on year # 3 with my change from perm to Afro. I am actually all natural now and i had shoulder length hair too, one thing i would suggest to encourage your continued transition to natural hair would be to use only human hair because from my experience synthetic hair is more heavier than human hair, human hair can prevent breakage which is a major problem for women with long hair transitioning to natural. I also noticed that synthetic hair drinks all of the nutrients from your hair leaving your hair weak and dry even when you add moisturizing cremes, hair dress etc. Human hair allows the products to actually be absorb in your own hair shaft encouraging less breakage related to dry brittle vitamin depleted hair. Use jojoba oil around your edges to encourage continued moisture retention and hydration and hair breakage prevention. Clean your pores around your edges with alcohol. And yes you can clean your entire scalp that way. Of course eventually you would have to start trimming your perm hair once your natural hair starts coming in to prevent hair breakage so it may be time to say goodbye to some of your permed hair of course it will decrease your length but only until your natural hair grows in. Hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment